Search This Blog

Sunday, November 7, 2010

School - what they don't teach you!

Thanks Janine for your kinds words.  We just finished our big showcase concert today and it is always such an emotional one for parents and seniors but most of all the staff!  What an amazing adventure we have with our students.  We get to watch them come in as frightened 9th graders and mature to nice...not all the time...young ladies and gentlemen.  Most teachers don't have this same luxury and I feel very fortunate.  Now without my own children in the program I have just adopted all the other students!  It was a great day for ending our competition season. 

But back to what Janine brought up...they don't teach you in education every thing you need to know.  After I finish my Masters in Technology, I plan on applying to nursing school, getting a psychology degree, after this year banking, and because this year we are without a custodian in our part of the building I plan on becoming a mover and cleaner!  I applaud all educators for all their "extra" that we do just to make it through the year!  For all those complaining parents I invite them to follow all of you for a week!  Have a great week and thanks for listening!  :)

2 comments:

  1. Excellent idea. You know, when I wanted to learn how "super" models got their bodies I thought the only way to learn was to do EVERYTHING that they did so that I could see how much excercise they did as well as every little thing they ate. Following a teacher for a week 24/7 would teach a lot of people a lot of things. I know my day is never 8-4.
    I also have to say that part of Lesley's program where we do things (like blogging and tweeting) are the only ways to see how to use them and how they can work for us. I do love being required to find examples because even though the Math blog I found is awesome, he has not posted anything since last spring. It is teaching me to pull things into my little treasure box of ideas, but to choose very carefully. (Don't you wish you could make the superintendent do what you do for a week? :) )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad our district isn't the only one around that teachers have to wear so many different hats throughout the day. It is amazing the criticisms that we as teachers have to put up with. We were negotiating for a raise last year and you wouldn't believe the amount of flack we got from parents, business owners you name it. They were all complaing about Teacher wanting to make more money. I totally agree with both of you for saying that people should follow a teacher around and see just what they do and what we have to put up with on a daily basis. No wonder I am crazy most of the time. LOL.
    If we are having trouble with students in our classrooms and we have tried about everything to make it work and the student is still misbehaving, they have to have their parent come and sit with them all day long. Go to each one of the student's classes. It works pretty well. I had one parent come up to me and thanked me for all we do, she said I never realized how out of hand it is getting in schools. It was nice to hear. I applaud you all for all you do. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete