Search This Blog

Friday, December 3, 2010

Day 1 - New York City

I finally downloaded my pictures and have really enjoyed reliving my trip!  My dad bought me a brand new camera (early Christmas present) and drove it to me the day before I left!  I know...I am spoiled!  I thought I would try and share some of my favorite memories by days.  I won't count the travel day...I had been up since 1 a.m. and finally got to bed the next night at midnight.  So...day 1 started out with a city tour on a bus and I actually stayed awake!  We had a fantastic tour guide with several stops.  Of course my favorite and most memorable was revisiting ground zero.  There are many changes from 5 years ago but it was still moving to me as well as the kids.  The picture shows one of the memorials created  in memory of 11 co-workers who lost their lives that day.  The artist wrote a little about each victim and then created this beautiful fountain which had droplets of water hitting randomly representing a continuous stream of tears.  I was so proud of the respect that our students showed during our visit. 




Next stop...the Rockettes!  I of course took a little cat nap out of exhaustion but enjoyed the music!  We finished the evening at Bubba Gump...in 2 different shifts with 302 travelers...and a little time in Times Square.  The kids had a blast!  It was a little terrifying trying to move all those travelers down the sidewalk from the Rockettes to Times Square but happy to report we didn't lose a single person!  Hope you enjoy the pictures and will continue later with day 2! 

5 comments:

  1. Wow! This would have been what I would have wanted for my kids when I was teaching music. One of my complaints with the students in our little town is lack of exposure to anything outside of southwestern Montana. Being able to experience all this with your kids is just absolutely amazing! What a learning experience!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your experience in New York and your pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pictures, Lisa! New York is still on my list of places to visit. I am so jealous that you have been there multiple times. I cannot wait to walk through Times Square and see a Broadway musical. I am glad the students were well behaved and enjoyed themselves. We struggle enough traveling to St. Louis with 25 basketball players. I can't imagine going across the country and having to keep track of 302 kids. You all must be amazing supervisors! Keep the pics and stories coming. Can't wait to hear more about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laura...you HAVE to go to New York City. There is something there for everybody. One suggestion...don't take a large group of students! Some day I would love to go and enjoy on my own. The good thing though...no worries about driving and parking! All arrangements were done for me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow is about all I can say for your trip. I still don't know how you managed 302 kids. Share your secret. Thanks for sharing your pictures. I really liked the memorial created for the victims of 911. I would like to visit that site some day. I was in New York about 23 years ago. I'm sure it has changed a lot since then.

    ReplyDelete